04 Jan, 2016
3986 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Railway Budget 2015 – Suresh Prabhu
Top Highlights of Railway Budget 2015
What is the investment plan in Railway Budget?
The Railway Budget envisages an investment of Rs. 8.5 lakh crore in next five years.
How this investment is going to generated?
The money is planned to be raised from multiple sources – like, from multilateral development banks to pension funds.
Explain the action plan of India Railways for fund raising?
Key action plan for Fund raising:
- Go in for partnership with key stakeholders – States, PSUs, partner with multilateral and bi-lateral organizations other governments to gain access to long-term financing.
- Get technology from overseas.
- To rope in the private sector in order to improve last-mile connectivity, expand fleet of rolling stock and modernize station infrastructure.
What is the key thrust as per the Railway Budget 2015?
The thrust is to revamp management practices, systems, processes, and re-tooling of human resources.
What is understood by the proposal on capacity augmentation?
- De-congesting networks with basket of traffic-generating projects will be the priority
- Priority to last-mile connectivity projects
- Fast-track sanctioned works on 7,000 kms of double/third/fourth lines
- Commissioning 1200 km in 2015-16 at an investment of Rs. 8,686 crore, 84% higher Y-O-Y.
- Commissioning 800 km of gauge conversion targeted in current fiscal.
- 77 projects covering 9,400 km of doubling/tripling/quadrupling works along with electrification, covering almost all States, at a cost of Rs. 96,182 crore, which is over 2700% higher in terms of amount sanctioned.
- Traffic facility work is a top priority with an outlay of Rs. 2374 crore .
- Award of 750 km of civil contracts and 1300 km of system contracts in 2015-16 on Dedicated
- Freight Corridor (DFC); 55 km section of Eastern DFC to be completed in the current year.
- Preliminary engineering-cum-traffic survey (PETS) for four other DFCs in progress.
- Acceleration of pace of Railway electrification: 6,608 route kilometers sanctioned for 2015-16, an increase of 1330% over the previous year.
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.