04 Jan, 2016
508 Times Read.
RSS Feed for this Article
Worksheets on Current Topics for Banking English Test Papers.
Nirdeshak is developing tailor made comprehension section from the recent news articles published in leading newpapers across the world. It is important to recognizing letters and words in the passage, as it is the first step in learning to read. For students it is vital that students comprehend, or understand, what they are reading. They must be able to get the meaning of the text: What is the author telling the reader?
New Catalyst paves way for bio-based plastics
Washington State University researchers have developed a catalyst that easily converts bio-based ethanol to a widely used industrial chemical, paving the way for more environmentally friendly, bio-based plastics and products.
The researchers have published a paper online describing the catalyst in the Journal of the American Chemical Society and have been granted a U.S. patent.
The chemical industry is interested in moving away from fossil fuels to bio-based products to reduce environmental impacts and to meet new regulations for sustainability, said Yong Wang, Voiland Distinguished Professor in the Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering.
The catalyst works on bio-based ethanol to create isobutene used in plastics and other products.
The industry has traditionally made a widely used chemical called isobutene – used in everything from plastic soda bottles to rubber tires – by superheating crude oil. But in collaboration with the Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) Company, Wang and his colleagues developed a catalyst to convert bio-based ethanol, which is made from corn or other biomass, to isobutene in one easy production step.
The researchers examined the costs and lifetime of their catalyst to determine its practicality for the marketplace and determined that it could be used for other closely related feedstocks. They also discovered just how their catalyst works, knowledge that could be used to design more efficient catalysts for a wide range of applications.
- A substance that changes both the physical and chemical properties of an object
- A substance that reacts chemically with another substance to produce a new substance
- A substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected
- A substance that is combustible
Q2. Bio-based products
- A product of food or feed that is composed, in whole or in significant part, of biological products or renewable domestic agricultural materials or forestry materials
- A product other than food or feed that is composed, in whole or in significant part, of biological products or renewable domestic agricultural materials or forestry materials
- Products made from biological reactions
- Products made from non-biological reactions
- The process of working jointly with others
- The process of working independently
- The process of working with people in same company
- The process of working with people in another company
- Cattle used for mass production of milk
- Intermediate product of a manufacturing process
- Raw material used for manufacturing industry
 Source of this article: http://phys.org/news/2015-12-catalyst-paves-bio-based-plastics-chemicals.html
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.